Monday, September 10, 2007

Well, THAT didn't work

I haven't watched the MTV VMAs in about twelve years. I watched them last night, oh BOY did I watch them. What in the fuck happened? Is there anybody in charge over at MTV anymore? To call it a train wreck might be underplaying how truly horrifying every aspect of the show was. That's not to say there weren't some good performances. I'm talking about the overall production design and flow, which appeared to be constructed by a severely retarded preteen with and old Tandy laptop. I understand that the youth of today like things fast and furious, but when your program looks like the computerized visualization of a serial killer's innermost thoughts, perhaps you're going a little too far.

And everything I'm reading today about the whole sorry affair is focusing on Britney Spears' performance. She was the opening act and she looked completely disinterested in being there. While that certainly set a peculiar mood, the rest of the show was equally as disjointed and crazy. No one looked like they gave a shit about anything, and every time the camera cut to someone with a microphone, they looked bewildered and drugged, as if they'd just been dosed with a few syringes of morphine before being asked to defuse a time bomb.

I've been trying to find the name of the artsy douchebag who "directed" this disaster, but, shockingly, I haven't been able to pinpoint it on the internet. I have a feeling this is the kind of project you don't attach your name to. Not your real name, anyway.

5 comments:

jason said...

You see, it was actually my directorial debut. I've tried to keep my name from being associated with it, since I was directing over a bad cell phone connection while in Ghana, but word will get out sooner or later.

And I'm not a good egg? Bah!

-jason

Unknown said...

Holy cow, Jason! In my reverting to the old site template, I didn't bring your link over. You're the best egg of all.

mugwatch said...

W.T.F.

mugwatch said...

i.e. Shocked and appalled, MTV style.

Hackett said...

In all seriousness, folks, the event was directed by Alan Smithee.